1. My very first online resolution would have to be posting more blog updates on this website! I just realized that Thanksgiving was the last time, and that is just plain embarrassing. I have been writing a lot, just other books that I am trying to publish by this summer. Sorry to have left you hanging, if you missed me.
2. I will not “wink” back at anyone who sends me an email calling me “babe”, “doll” or “hon” in their introductory email…..even if he is hot. That is unless he is Adam Levine hot, in which case I may have to investigate. Adam, if by some miracle you dump your Victoria Secret supermodel girlfriend and want to go for coffee, I am available!
3. When I receive a message from a man that is at least 20 years my senior, I will try really hard not make out loud gagging noises. For one, it seems mean. These men are entitled to find love too, but maybe they should stick to the assisted community clientele that is so readily at their fingertips! Opps. That was mean as well. Sorry, I will need to try harder. Secondly, I sometimes check these sites as a break when I am in coffee shops during one of my writing marathons. The cute guy at the table next to me probably won’t find this type of outburst attractive, endearing, or….normal.
4. I will stop being the equivalent of one of those crazy reality TV hoarders, and clean out my dating site winks and emails. Because there is so much communication that piles up, I tend to shy away from it completely. But you never know when I might want to write back that guy with the attractive lab puppy, or the guy who likes rock climbing, (I’ve always wanted to try that), even though I strongly suspect that the physical chemistry is not there.
5. Finish what you start. It seems that I will write back to someone and the communication is flowing, and then I just drop the ball. Life gets busy, and I am not sure that I am willing to give up my 5:30 cardio kickboxing class and a chance to hang out with friends, to go on a date with a stranger. This has been a problem, so much so that I will go back and write someone a few months later, and start the conversation again….then lose interest. I am going to work on this!
6. Even though my profile CLEARLY states I am not looking for a fling or hook-up, this information may need to be moved up to the top of my profile page. If I had a dollar for every time a soldier under 30 from Fort Bliss wrote me an email looking for a good time, I would be living in the lap of luxury, or at least able to afford the odd professional massage (I sure don’t want one from them, like they are offering). Apparently many men just look at your pictures and don’t read the text. Should I be surprised by that? Shocker!
7. Now that I have attacked the male species for not reading MY profile all the way through, my next resolution is to not write back a potential date BEFORE I READ HIS PROFILE. The irony is that literally moments after I wrote resolution number six, I had been sending emails back and forth with a man that just contacted me tonight. His profile picture is one of him with a beautiful dog. In one message he wrote how he wanted to go on one of my beach vacations with me sometime. Flippantly I wrote back that I might invite him, but only if he brought his dog with him. This is the response I got….
Today, 11 minutes ago
I really wish I could, He passed away 🙁 a couple months ago. He really was the best dog ever, he was so chill. I miss him so much. You need to read profiles a little more closely. I won’t hold that against you though if it gets me to the beach.
Nice to know that after ranting and raving, I am no better than those men. I think the word I am looking for here is, anyhow….
8. In 2012 I will not give my phone number to anyone that I have not corresponded to for at least two weeks. The result of this is getting random texts from numbers I don’t know, from people who don’t bother to reveal their names. Last week I kept getting texts from someone saying, “Hey, who is dis?” None of my friends would write that cutesy slang. Finally I wrote a response. “Hey, my girl doesn’t recognize this number. Who is this?” Within minutes, the person wrote back, “Oh, I must have the wrong number, sorry.” My fake boyfriend was kind enough to reply, “No problem. Peace.” My make believe boyfriend is so thoughtful and polite.
9. Last, but not least, I am going to go out with decent guys more than once, even if I don’t feel a strong initial attraction. Lately I have been interviewing people about if the chemistry has to be there initially, and have gotten mixed responses. What do you think? Can attraction grow over time, or do you think it should be there from the very beginning?
Happy New Year Everyone!